quote

"I lie to myself all the time. But I never believe me."

- Ponyboy Curtis, S. E. Hinton, The Outsiders

Sunday 12 January 2020

Death of a Naturalist by Seamus Heaney

¡Hola folks!

Today I finished yet another Seamus Heaney Poetry Collection and thought I'd share my thoughts on Goodreads. I am a huge Seamus Heaney fan, and I even have the S of his initial in his handwriting tattooed on my wrist. Generally speaking, I am a sucker for poetry, especially Irish poetry, and Heaney is at the forefront of that.

Death of a Naturalist by Seamus Heaney
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"I rhyme to see myself, to set the darkness echoing." (Personal Helicon)

As always, Seamus Heaney's poems blew me away. Even though Death of a Naturalist is his first poetry collection, it is already marvellous. Heaney wrote these poems before The Troubles, which is noticeable in the themes he uses. They centre more around his childhood and his early adulthood, and he is often the focaliser. Nevertheless, this does not diminish the importance and greatness of his poetry. Whether we have poems like "Digging", which is about the differences between his father and himself, or "Mid-Term Break", one of his most emotional works about his brother's death, we have a clear image in mind, even if we can't relate. Just like every other collection, this one is filled with beautiful quotes, does not disappoint, and is worth a read.
My personal favourites are Digging, Mid-Term Break, Valediction, and Scaffolding.

I hope you're having a good morning, day, evening, or night and remember that you are here, you are valid, and you will be okay ♥

Au revoir,

magdalena

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheers ♥